Michael Leone on Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:19:45 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Mounting vfat partition as rw?

On 17 Jan 2001 15:57:59 -0500, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> You need to change users to user in the /etc/fstab file.

Ok. That may just have been a typo in my email, tho.

> Also,  Do you want the partition to be mounted at boot or do you want
> users to be able to mount the partition?

At boot.

> If you want the partition mounted at boot time rw is OK in the
> /etc/fstab.

Thought I'd tried it that way, and had no luck, but I'll try it again
with "user".

> Check the mount point permissions and make sure it looks like rwxrwxrwx

There are. I thought of that, so I umounted (as root), and then did a
chmod 755 on the mount point.

:-)

Didn't help.

:-(

> if you want everone on your system to be able to write to the
> partition.  It is very dangerous to allow everyone to write to a whole
> partition.  It might be useful to set up a group that is authorized to
> write to the partition.
>
> Michael Leone wrote:

> > > Root owns all the files because he's the one who mounted it.
> > >
> > > Try adding 'users' to the options part of the fstab.
> >
> > No change. And I can't mount as a normal user - says only root can do
> > that.
> >
> > I've tried the "noauto,users,rw" options. Singly and in different
> > combinations. And I still can't write a file to that partition as a
> > normal user.
> >

> > > ...Come to think of it, that might not solve your problem fully.  Root
> > > would probably still mount it when the system comes up, necessitating your
> > > unmounting it as root, then re-mounting it as a user...
> >
> > Can't mount as anything but root.
> >
> > --

> --
> Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
>                        http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
>                        Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <
>
> Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
> no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

Michael J. Leone <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Registered Linux user #201348