LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:58:14 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Mounting vfat partition as rw?

You need to change users to user in the /etc/fstab file.

Also,  Do you want the partition to be mounted at boot or do you want
users to be able to mount the partition?

If you want the partition mounted at boot time rw is OK in the
/etc/fstab.

Check the mount point permissions and make sure it looks like rwxrwxrwx
if you want everone on your system to be able to write to the
partition.  It is very dangerous to allow everyone to write to a whole
partition.  It might be useful to set up a group that is authorized to
write to the partition.

Michael Leone wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2001 23:40:12 -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 11:08:21PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > > But that didn't work. I have no permission to write as anything but
> > > root.
> > > I know that FAT style partitions don't support permissions.
> > >
> > > I know it's something simple. But what?
> >
> > Root owns all the files because he's the one who mounted it.
> >
> > Try adding 'users' to the options part of the fstab.
>
> No change. And I can't mount as a normal user - says only root can do
> that.
>
> I've tried the "noauto,users,rw" options. Singly and in different
> combinations. And I still can't write a file to that partition as a
> normal user.
>

> > ...Come to think of it, that might not solve your problem fully.  Root
> > would probably still mount it when the system comes up, necessitating your
> > unmounting it as root, then re-mounting it as a user...
>
> Can't mount as anything but root.
>
> --

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:ldc@netaxs.com         /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )