Walt Mankowski on Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:30:22 -0500

Re: [PLUG] How do *you* use gpg?

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 11:23:45AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> So, I'm curious, how do *you* use gpg/pgp in your daily work?

I mainly use gpg with mutt to check and add gpg signatures on emails.

With mutt, checking signatures is automatic if you source the gpg.rc
file that comes with mutt.  gpg will even automatically download new
keys from a keyserver if you add a keyserver line to your
~/gnupg/options file, e.g.

keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net

I subscribe to lots of mailing lists, and sort the mail into folders
for each list.  I recently added some lines to my .muttrc file to
optionally add a gpg signature depending on which folder I'm in:

# Turn on gpg autosign for a few groups
folder-hook . unset pgp_autosign
folder-hook debian-user set pgp_autosign
folder-hook mutt        set pgp_autosign
folder-hook plug        set pgp_autosign

This works because I'm generally in the plug folder when I'm sending
messages to the plug list (e.g. replying to a message).  It's also
possible (and easy) in mutt to turn off signatures and/or message
encryption on a message-by-message basis.

Walt