Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:24:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] perl dbi question

> I have a database server and a webserver.
> I want to get perl cgi on the webserver to access the MySQL database on the
> dbserver.
> I have DBI and DBD:mysql installed on the database server and can access
> MySQL fine.
>
> How do I do this from the webserver, from what i see i can't install
> DBD::mysql because
>   MySQL isn't on the webserver.  Do I have to network the two machines
> together and
> point the installation at MySQL on the dbserver.

Even if you don't have write access to /usr/lib/perl [or where ever the
installation of perl is], you can still install modules.

Ater you unpack the tar archive:

 perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/path/where/you/have/write/access

Then in your perl program, put the line:

  use lib '/path/where/you/have/write/access';

You may need to tweak the paths a little bit, but this will work.  You
can just install the modules to an alternate lib path, and then use that
lib path.

In addition to the 'use lib', you can also set your PERL5LIB enviromnet
variable, but it doesn't work with perl's taint checking [which I use
religiously].  If you're using mod_perl, you can create a startup.pl and
put the use lib line in it, then you won't need it in your individual perl
programs.

hope this helps.

"From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back.  That is the
 point that must be reached."   -- Kafka