Michael Leone on Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:42:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] portmap and other things

On 06 Mar 2001 16:50:18 -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 04:34:26PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> > ooooooh. nice. is this black-holing permanent or only for like 3 hours
> > or configurable or what?
>
> The last, if memory serves.
>
> I think it's a Grade A1 Bad Idea in all cases; I'd rather not have
> an interested party know I know about them till I can turn it around
> on them by way of complete logs, a system they couldn't crack
> anyhow, and a carefully placed phone call to their upstream
> provider.

Well, portsentry can issue an IPChAINS DENY (rather than a REJECT), so
you'd get the same response as you would get if the host you're scanning
went down.

> But I'm a haughty asshole.

I can only go by what you say.

<G>

> Seriously, blackholing is useful neither as a security measure (for
> all but the most lazy attackers; those who really want in will still
> get there), nor as an intrusion detection system (as it actually
> HIDES informaion about your attacker from you),

Well, it's meant to STOP an intrusion. And it lists that fact in the
logs - the type of scan, port scanned, scanning IP, and the fact that
the route to that IP has been dropped.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890

You've got your glory, you've paid for it all
You take your pension in loneliness and alcohol
                     Billy Squier, "Everybody wants you"