gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 8 Mar 2001 01:53:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] portmap and other things

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:46:47PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> Well, portsentry can issue an IPChAINS DENY (rather than a REJECT), so
> you'd get the same response as you would get if the host you're scanning
> went down.

I guess. I'd still rather do this myself based on my logs. My
turnaround will be slower (more like weekly rather than
instantaneous), but there won't be any false positives, and (though
I'm not maintaining any right now) firewalls I've configured are
usually noisy enough that if they need fairly immediate attention
they can get it.

I'll grant that's more effort on the admin's part, but it's effort I
think really does need to be human. (Computers can be SO much dumber
than people, especially with anything it'd take a Turing machine or
more to sort out. And validity of Internet traffic really is one of
those things.)

> On 06 Mar 2001 16:50:18 -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > But I'm a haughty asshole.
> I can only go by what you say.
>
> <G>

Heh. Now and previously. ;^>

> Well, it's meant to STOP an intrusion. And it lists that fact in the
> logs - the type of scan, port scanned, scanning IP, and the fact that
> the route to that IP has been dropped.

I guess, but I think it's overreactive. If I were going to have
something block a port, I'd want it to wait till something bad
actually tried to come in.

Granted the heuristic for "something bad" is really complicated and
always changing... but that's part of the reason I don't want
anything automated closing new ports on my firewall. It, like most
Microsoft software, ends up trying to be too smart for its (and my)
own good. At least, in my experience.

I'm also coming from the stance that I'm basically okay with a port
scan. I mean, plenty of people walk past my front door; some might
even try the doorknob (hey, maybe they were actually looking for my
neighbor, but got the wrong apartment number). Doesn't bother me till
they come in and start eying my stereo. And that's what the baseball
bat's for. ;^>

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net