Pat McMichael on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:27:18 -0500

[PLUG] Please post Compaq Local users group - Linux Speaker set for March 29, 2001

DEL VAL Compaq User Group Meeting - 3/29/01

Date: Thursday, March 29, 2001

Place: Burlington County College,
3331 State Route 38, Mt. Laurel Campus:
State Highway 38 and Hartford Rd.
(Exits 40 and 40A of I-295), Mt.Laurel,NJ 08054

Room: 202

Time: 5:00PM to 7:30 PM

Topic: LINUX 101 (Lots of free give aways from DECUS and ENCOMPASS!)

Host: SENGEN and V-Span Food: Pizza and Sodas

Speaker: Russell Pavlicek, Compaq
This session will discuss the value of Linux in a business environment.
We will cover some of the history of the operating system, its features,
and its place in the corporate world. We will deal with some of the
misconceptions that surround Open Source software as well as some of the
key differences between Open Source and closed source solutions. We will
also discuss the community which creates Open Source software and Compaq's
role in the Linux world. We will allocate plenty of time for questions and
answers, so come with your issues and queries about using Linux and Open
Source solutions.

Russell Pavlicek is Compaq's Linux Evangelist for Professional Services.
Hejoined Digital Equipment Corporation in 1987 and spent years as an
OpenVMS customer consultant for Digital. In 1995, he began using Linux and
soon became convinced of its potential as a business solution. He is the
author of the book, "Embracing Insanity: Open Source Software Development",
as well as numerous magazine and webzine articles. He is a frequent speaker
at
Linux and Open Source conferences in North America. Local Users Group DECUS
www.decus.org Non Profit Organization supporting Compaq Users in DE, SNJ
and Eastern PA

Questions, email pcampbell@fcg.com and or pmcmichael@vspan.com Or call
610-382-4087 leave a voicemail

A note to Delaware Valley Compaq User Group List members:  You have
received this e-mail based on your interest in either the Del Val CUG or
DECUS.
If you do not wish to receive any additional mailings on up coming Del
VAL CUG events you may leave the list at any time by sending a
"SIGNOFF delval-list" command to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.LUGS.DECUS.ORG