gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:32:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4 under RH7

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:08:36PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> I've confirmed that I have gcc 2.96-96 installed, and kgcc 1.1.2-40
> installed, and this is after
> I've applied what I think is all the updates.  So, RH _does_ run the
> wrong gcc even now!

If I'm right about needed the related ld for code written out by
that development snapshot gcc to work properly, they're kind of
stuck.

In order to downgrade, they'd have to force every system to update
everything that could possibly get confused with a correct ld. (Or
ship the weird ld in addition to the standard one and an ld.so.conf
with some insane pattern match or even more insane presumptions to
discover which gcc it ought to use.)

I'm surprised that there have been no conflicts between stuff that
people have installed locally on RH boxes upgraded from 6.2 to 7
and the new ld. (Maybe there have, and we just haven't heard.)

There would *definitely* be trouble if people released binary
packages they suggested would work anywhere except RH 7 built with
the weird gcc.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net