Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:20:09 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Backup options?

Title: RE: [PLUG] Backup options?

I like the spare huge hardrive approach. Tape capacity is prohibitively
expensive not to mention slow. The imaging software has a compression
option which usually allows a 2:1 compression ratio. Since hard drive
capacities keep increasing according to Moore's law, you could wait until
you can afford a drive thats double your current drives capacity.
Then purchase it and make it your new drive, use the old one for backups.

As for the ability to bring back a single file, I do'nt put much weight
on that. It is nice that the imaging software can handle it. I think backups
are mostly for catastrophic disk failure or rapid recovery to a previous
system state. Both cases are handled extremely well by imaging software.

Has anyone know about any good open-source imaging software? Drive Image
needs Windows for the installation, although it runs perfectly well from a
DOS bootable floppy. I do not know about ghost, it probably also wants a
Windows install.