Tim Peeler on Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Backup options?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:43:10AM -0400, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> dd if=/dev/??? of=filename
> or cp /dev/??? filename
>
> dd allows you to specify block size and a plethoria of other items.
> Though not the most ``user friendly'' but the finest that I have used.
> Also if you have the loop back compiled into your kernel you can mount
> the created file as root with
>
> mount -o loop filename mountpoint

If you're using dd to copy one hard disk to another, you would probably
want the disk you're copying from (or partition) set to readonly.
A good way to "ghost" one drive to another is to use the linux on a
floppy distro to do your backup, that way you're absolutely certain
that the drive you're reading from is ro and nothing will be written
to the 'if' disk during the ghosting to the 'of' disk (or file).

For me, this wouldn't be an ideal solution (for most people).  If you
insist on using a secondary hard drive as a backup solution, you should
probably use tar, cp -a, rsync or any of the other utilities for
backups.  Using rsync has the advantage that once you've got the data
copied the first time, rsync will only backup what's changed.

Tim