Michael Leone on Thu, 10 May 2001 08:55:59 -0400

Re: [PLUG] HELP!! Scanner device not working (hardwaregoingoffline)

> First of all, thanks for answering.  Glad to know someone likes me! ;-)

No problem.  Besides, we seem to be on at least 3 of the same lists, and
you - like me - are an old Netware head. :-)

> On 09 May 2001 16:25:18 -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> > > I've noticed in the syslog that modprobe is trying to load
> > > char-major-81.  This seems to be the beginning of trouble for the
> > > scanner.  What IS this module?  I've noticed other similar settings in
> > > the /etc/modules.conf file, and in the output of "modprobe -c".
> >
> > http://www.lugor.org/sig/newbie/modules/modules-example.html
> >
> > char-major-81 is a videodev.
> >
> > ? ? ? Don't ask me; I only search for'em. :-)
>
> Thanks for finding that for me, Michael (even if it doesn't seem to
> help). How did you find that web page?  Don't tell me you just tapped it
> into a search engine.  I didn't even try that.  I suppose this thing has
> got me worked up, so that my reason is going to the wind!

Google, buddy, always Google! :-) <http://www.google.com>
I just put in "char-major-81", and one of the returned links was that one.
So I figured "Examples. THAT should list all of them".

And it did. :-)

> I think it may be the scanner itself giving me problems, but I haven't
> been able to prove it yet!  The only thing that points me in that
> direction is that when rebooting the PC, if the scanner is attached to
> the 2940 card (bios enabled), the scanner usually appears as a scsi

If the only device attached to this card is the scanner, you can probably
disable the BIOS. The BIOS on the card is really intended for hard disks
(well, storage devices - meaning Zips, Jaz, as well as HDs). So you can
disable it for scanners or tape drives and such.

> device under the card at startup.  This is not happening.  I have to
> turn the PC off, power cycle the scanner, turn the PC on again before
> the scanner will appear under the scsi card.
>
> However once the scanner does appear, it seems to work fine under NT!

Yeah, sounds like it might be a scanner issue. You could play around with
those SCSI Select settings (CTRL A during initialization of the card); you
may find one that will help.