Rupert Heesom on Thu, 10 May 2001 17:50:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Scanner device not working

On 10 May 2001 08:56:24 -0400, Michael Leone wrote:

> > First of all, thanks for answering.  Glad to know someone likes me! ;-)
>
> No problem.  Besides, we seem to be on at least 3 of the same lists, and
> you - like me - are an old Netware head. :-)

Yes, I've worked with Netware for a lot of my professional life.  I
think it's a shame that it's gone down the tubes.  Until recently (while
I've been in America) I didn't want to admit that Novell is going
nowhere.  They shouldn't really BE going nowhere, they have a good
product(s), but nobody likes to buy Novell anymore :-(.

I just don't like the idea of xtraining to NT/W2K, so UNIX/Linux is
hopefully a workable option for me!

> Yeah, sounds like it might be a scanner issue. You could play around with
> those SCSI Select settings (CTRL A during initialization of the card); you
> may find one that will help.

Actually, my 2906 card doesn't have it's bios enabled by default
(assuming it even has a bios) because it's not meant to be used by
bootable devices. Therefore it doesn't even appear on the PCs startup
screen.  I'm wondering whether there's a way to turn on the bios on this
card so that I can see it at startup?

I read the manual for it.  Apparently it only comes with a DOS program
on floppy for the SCSISelect program.  How am I supposed to run this
from Linux?  DOSEmulator probably, I don't have it installed.  Probably
not worth the effort to hassle with it.

--
regs
rupert