Rupert Heesom on Thu, 10 May 2001 16:48:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Scanner device not working - UPDATE

On 10 May 2001 06:21:54 -0400, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> I sounds like the scsi csard is not compiled into the kernel.  Why not
> plug the scanner into your main card which is already in the kernel?
>
> Also make sure that you have scsi generic devices compiled into the
> kernel.

I can see the kernel loading the driver for my scanner card on bootup,
and in the dmesg output.  It uses the same Linux driver as my other card
(aic7xxx - all PCI Adaptec cards).

I also have gone through the mistake of leaving out the generic support
from the kernel.  That's sorted now.

An update for ALL in this thread (thanks for the responses) -

As I think I mentioned this morning, I found that using my xsane
program, only the preview didn't work.  I could scan an image if I
booted Linux afresh (to get the scanner device online again), then
scanning an image without doing a preview.  I thought that somehow the
char-major-81 thing was getting in the way of the xsane preview.

I looked at the documentation in the 2.4.3 source tree re
"char-major-81".  It really sounded as if I shouldn't be dealing with
it.

I decided to try upgrading my version of sane / xsane.  I had the RPMs
from Gnome 1.4 installed.  I downloaded the source for
sane-backends-1.0.4, sane-frontends-1.0.4, xsane-0.76.  Even using my RH
compiler gcc 2.96-69, I was able to compile the source for all the
packages (had to add /usr/local/lib into /etc/ld.so.conf).  The
scanimage command line program works (able to scan an image onto my HD),
but now neither xscanimage & xsane recognise any scanner!!

One very interesting output from the sane 1.0.4 configure script
mentioned that it was disabling the Video4Linux backend support.
Maybe this is what was happening to me?  Somehow Video4Linux was enabled
for my sane, and xsane was trying to use it?

I'm going to subscribe to the sane-devel mailing list (only sane mailing
list available) and find out what I haven't configured yet.  I've read
all the source docs I could find.  The source configure nicely, seemed
to compile properly as well (the scanimage prog works after all).  The
others run, but produce error msgs.

Hopefully once I've got this all working, I will know a fair amount
about sane/xsane!!

--
regs
rupert