Mental on Thu, 10 May 2001 14:54:38 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sshd_exchange_identification problem

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:31:59PM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> i understand. gabe precisely pinpointed the problem. i am stupid.

You're not stupid. If you were stupid you would have learned nothing from
this. You're just still climbing the learning curve. Not a big deal.

> nevertheless, a busy multi-user system with clients logging in from
> all over the world should not, in my opinion, be PARANOID since a lot
> of networks (a) cannot "even consistently name a host," and (b)
> especially people using ADSL lines tend to run their own name
> services...

There's no set answer. It really depends. The fact that there are so many
misconfigured hosts, networks and domains that cannot manage even the most
basic configurations only shows how ill prepared this industry is for prime
time. The internet is an ugly hack up which we are trying to base our
'new economy'. I am reminded of tulip bulbs for some reason....

I'll go rant elsewhere.

--
Mental

--obscure reference to the Dutch-tulip-bulb mania of the 1630s inside