MaD dUCK on Thu, 10 May 2001 13:32:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sshd_exchange_identification problem

also sprach Mental (on Thu, 10 May 2001 01:02:45PM -0400):
> I just pointed you at what to fix. Regardless of how it used to work, if
> its not working now, check to make sure your A and PTR records arent
> broken. Thats what PARANOID does. It wont talk to hosts with an identity
> crisis. If a network cant even consistantly name a host, you probably dont
> want to talk to it. Or if you do, you're not paranoid. Thus the term.

i understand. gabe precisely pinpointed the problem. i am stupid.
nevertheless, a busy multi-user system with clients logging in from
all over the world should not, in my opinion, be PARANOID since a lot
of networks (a) cannot "even consistently name a host," and (b)
especially people using ADSL lines tend to run their own name
services...

in any case, thanks for the help.

and another response to michael's post a second ago: debian-user is
frequently less helpful than plug on similar issues. that's why you
don't see me post stuff that i got from that mailing list.

"there are more things in heaven and earth, horatio,
 than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
                                                             -- hamlet