Sergey Ostrovsky on Mon, 21 May 2001 16:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] tmi and not enough restraint...

k hill wrote:

<--- snip

> ... I was having problems
> with windows opening larger than my display and therefore being useless
> so, I did some research, thought I figured out how to fix it and was
> desperately wrong.

<--- snip

>From http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/XF86Config.5.html :

Virtual xdim ydim
    This optional entry specifies the virtual screen resolution to be used.
xdim must be a multiple of either 8 or 16 for most drivers, and a multiple
    of 32 when running in monochrome mode. The given value will be rounded
down if this is not the case. Video modes which are too large for
    the specified virtual size will be rejected. If this entry is not
present, the virtual screen resolution will be set to accommodate all the
valid video
    modes given in the Modes entry...

So,  when running  xf86config :

- Answer "No" when asked if you want to have virtual screen mode ( or
something like that ).

- Decide what is the screen resolution that you are really going to use -
say, 1024x764. IIRC it corresponds to 4 in xf86config's menu.
   When prompted to configure modes for every pixel depth,
_do_not_configure_resolutions_higher_than_this_chosen_.
   For instance, when configuring for 8, 16, 24 bpp I answer "432", which
means I want to have resolutions 1042x768, 800x600, 600x480 (???)

- When prompted about the default resolution, enter this chosen ( 4 ).

Hope this helps

Sergey Ostrovsky.