Bill Jonas on Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:47:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User Accounts

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 02:00:54PM -0400, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> I redid my laptop today and that is why asked in the first place.  I was
> trying to decide whether I should continue as root or start as myself.
> I wanted to see what other people were doing on single user machines.

Others have given good reasons, but here's another: the principle of
minimum privelege.  Trivial example: you execute some program that winds
up deleting your XF86Config file, which it wouldn't have been able to do
if you were running as a normal user.  And we all know what a pain X can
be to configure.  :)  And as others have suggested, use sudo.  I'll be
happy to show you my /etc/sudoers (its configuration file).

> After all the replies, I decided to try it under my username.  So for
> the 3 hours that I have doing it, it has been a pain :-)
> but I'll keep going

One tip -- since you're no longer going to be running as root, you won't
have full access to every file like you did before.  If you encounter
some strange problem (sound doesn't work, for example), check the
ownership and permissions *first*.  It'll save you much time.  :)

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin