LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 2 Jun 2001 12:50:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User Accounts

Another item is that you should add certain users to belong to certain
groups.

For instance the /etc/group file has all of the groups that are on your
system.  Add a normal user to groups like audio and floppy.  This will
allow you to play music and access the floppy as a normal user.  like
using the mtools series of commands.  This will make life easier for
you.

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 02:00:54PM -0400, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> > I redid my laptop today and that is why asked in the first place.  I was
> > trying to decide whether I should continue as root or start as myself.
> > I wanted to see what other people were doing on single user machines.
>
> Others have given good reasons, but here's another: the principle of
> minimum privelege.  Trivial example: you execute some program that winds
> up deleting your XF86Config file, which it wouldn't have been able to do
> if you were running as a normal user.  And we all know what a pain X can
> be to configure.  :)  And as others have suggested, use sudo.  I'll be
> happy to show you my /etc/sudoers (its configuration file).
>
> > After all the replies, I decided to try it under my username.  So for
> > the 3 hours that I have doing it, it has been a pain :-)
> > but I'll keep going
>
> One tip -- since you're no longer going to be running as root, you won't
> have full access to every file like you did before.  If you encounter
> some strange problem (sound doesn't work, for example), check the
> ownership and permissions *first*.  It'll save you much time.  :)
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
> "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
> be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
> this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <