Jeff Abrahamson on Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] This isn't a new thread

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:53:42AM -0400, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> >(was: [PLUG] User Accounts)
> >
> ><sermon>
> >
> >  Do you see the line in the headers that says something like

> Fine.  I didn't know that.  I wanted to ask a quick question and that's
> how I did it.

That's fine. Walt was actually on the nail, I used your message as an
example because I felt the note deserved a concrete example to avoid
the string of "what are you talking about, exactly?" type mails that
might follow otherwise. Nothing personal was intended.

> >  (Do you know how annoying it is to look, for example, for a social
> >  note from last week only to find, in the end, that it has sorted 2000
> >  messages further back because it was "a new message" that was created
> >  by replying to an old one from a couple months ago and changing the
> >  subject.)
> >
> ></sermon>
> >
> You want to know what I find annoying.
>
>  It's when some one asks a question on a list and if they don't follow a
> certain etiquette in the asking.  Whether it is a mail written in HTML,
> or a question that's been answered in a list FAQ, or when someone does
> something that I just did.
>
> Ok Fine, They made a mistake.  You went to great lengths to explain to
> me why what I did is bad form.  The annoying part is that while you took
> the time to point out my mistake, You DIDN'T answer my question. You
> made no comment whatsover about it.
>
> Was the question not valid becuase I didn't start a new thread correctly?
> Did you have only enough time to comment on my mistake?

Not at all. Rather, I was pretty sure the other people who had
responded had already adequately answered your question. At least, I
had nothing new to add to what they'd said.

> I not trying to start an argument. I thought the way you gave your
> "sermon" was slightly rude

Sorry, it wasn't intended that way. Indeed, framing it in a mock-XML
sermon tag was intended to suggest that I was aware that the subject
was touchy and that I did not mean it to be taken offensively. Sorry
that I failed in that attempt.

--
 Jeff