gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] why does my keyboard repeat rate slow down when I reconnect my keyboard ?

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 08:41:39PM -0700, multiple seriousity wrote:
> Probably a hardware issue, I would guess.  ps/2 Isn't really supposed to
> be hot-swap is it?

I always had the impression this was basically kosher. Not nearly so
verbotten as hot swapping ADB on macs (which is actually almost
never a problem unless you're *really* unlucky). Is the shield
ground on PS/2? If so, there really shouldn't be any electronic-brand
danger, as the shield is certainly the last thing to detach. It's
possible that this does confuse PS/2 controller circuitry, though.

Fwiw, ADB keyboards seem to do fine after a hot swap, but ADB mice
slow down to an absolute crawl (around the MacOS mouse control panel
setting for tablet speed, no matter what you set the speed to in
that control panel).

With regard to X, you can set the key repeat rate easily (see
xset(1)). You can probably do the same on the console, presuming
there's some kind of controlling software. (On NetBSD this is
wsconsctl(8). I wouldn't know on Linux, as any time I've used it,
I've been in X.)

> USB is hotswap, anybody know what else?  sure, 9 times out of 10 you're
> not going to totally blow the chip/componets... but you never know.

Firewire is also hotswappable, no?

Oh, and what about SCSI? ;^>

> and in an unrelated-but-related story, if you haven't already read it, go
> read it and then go get yourself some hardware before they stop giving
> them away:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/06/17/1521241&mode=thread
>
> And dont forget they now have USB cuecats, and those 'tv cables' which are
> basically just rca --> audio plug.

Mmmmm... vaguely technological plastic crap. ;^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net