gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:46:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with WINE

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:27:29AM -0400, John Beck wrote:
> Gabriel - sorry about the text wrapping - I think that I have it corrected...

Heh. Closer. So wrapping at more like 72 lines is the real deal,
since quoting will insert a few characters depending on the quote
string, and you're liable to be quoted two, even three times on a
mailing list. :^>

I keep vi's wrapmargin variable (the number of columns from the
right side of the screen at which it will wrap) set to 12, actually.
(Mostly because I find that matches up best with what fmt(1)'s
formatting when given no extra arguments. I just pipe a few lines
out to fmt if I screw up the formatting on a given line.) And yes, I
use vi (through mutt) to edit email.

(Thanks for even paying attention to that request, btw. You'd be
surprised how few people care. Not here on PLUG that is, but in
general.)

> As for your suggestions with mounting my windows partition - Thank
> you. When I did that, I followed the directions from the Newbieized
> Help Files at the linuxnewbie site.  Those were the directions I
> received verbatim from the help file...

Huh. Well, either they have some typos or I'm mistaken. I've never
actually used WINE under Linux. Mostly because I have no Windows
software (I came to Unix from MacOS).

You're not the only person I've seen with directories under /mnt,
and as long as you're comfortable with them magically disappearing
out of your file system if someone does mount something on /mnt,
it's not going to break anything. But I find over-mounting like that
can get confusing.

(I actually had this problem appear not too long after I sent my
first email on the topic, though not with /mnt. On a few machines
at Swarthmore, the entire NetBSD source tree lived on one machine
and just a copy of the system source lived on another. A professor
was editing the latter, recompiled a kernel, and rebooted the
machine.  Only but that machine's fstab told it to mount the entire
source respository from the first box. Silently hiding the system
source in which the professor was working. She was more than a
little confused at first when her changes to files disapeared.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net