John Beck on Sun, 29 Jul 2001 04:40:46 -0400

[PLUG] Printer setup for dummies

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be kind enough to provide detailed, step by step
instructions (read: Printer Setup for Dummies :-) on how to setup my
printer in Slackware 8.0 (kernel 2.2.19, Gnome 1.4).

Here is what I know so far.  I have a Compaq IJ750 printer on lpt1.  I
have not attempted at all to install it, or do anything with it.  I am
using a default install of Slackware 8.0, with the Gnome 1.4 desktop,
and as you can tell, am new to Linux, but learning fast!

I checked www.linuxprinting.org, and it says that printer works
(mostly), and that it is a rebadged Lexmark 3200.  Here is the link to
the actual page:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=132864

It says that it uses the Lexmark drivers (I think), and this is where I
get completely lost.  Do I need to download these drivers?  From where?
What do I do with them after I have downloaded them?  Do I need to
configure it?  If so, how?  Will it work both as Root and as a normal
user? Etc, etc, etc...   Just about anything you can think of I need to
know!

So, given all this, if there is anyone at all that can help me, it would
be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!  Oh, and by the way, even the the printer
is a color printer, all I really care about is getting black and white
normal text (such as from a word processor, text editor, gnumeric
spreadsheet, etc.) to print, if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John