Bill Jonas on Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:40:04 -0400

[PLUG] Quake 3 (Team) Arena HOWTO

Hi, everybody,

Just wanted to share how I got some things working with Quake3 Arena and
Quake 3 Team Arena under Linux.  I'm still using a Voodoo3 card, so this
will be written from that perspective, although most of it will apply to
any supported video card.  I also run XFree86 4.0.3.  (There may be some
Debianisms in the guide below, but I'll try not to do that.)

First off, to actually get Quake 3 Arena running with hardware
acceleration, edit your XF86Config-4 file.  If they're not already there
and uncommented, you'll need to add the following lines to 'Section
"Module"':
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"

If it's not already there, you'll need to add a new section:
Section "DRI"
     Mode 0666
EndSection

The mode is regular Unix-style permissions.  More information is
available at <http://www.xfree86.org/current/DRI6.html#10>.  (Better
security would use a special group and "Mode 0660".)

Next, you'll need to ensure that the kernel module for your card is
loaded.  In my case, that's the tdfx module, so I "modprobe tdfx".  Put
the name of the module in /etc/modules or wherever your distribution
loads modules on bootup.  (Slackware, for example, uses modprobe lines
in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, IIRC.)

You'll also need to install an OpenGL or compliant library.  On my
Debian system, for my Voodoo card, I ran "apt-get install libglide3".
(The source is from <http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=369>.)
Install whatever library is appropriate for your video card in whatever
manner is appropriate for your distribution.

At this point, you should be able to run regular Quake 3 Arena after you
install it.  (It's possible I might be missing something because I did
this part a couple months ago.)  If the video and sound are really
jerky, you've either not done everything properly, or it's time to
upgrade your machine.  ;)

Next, for Team Arena.  Unfortunately, due to the poor sales of the
retail Linux version of Q3A, Id decided not to release a retail version
of Q3:TA.  (Why they didn't just make one CD containing Windows, Mac,
and Linux versions is beyond me.)  The good news is that Team Arena is
basically just a mod to Q3A, so all we need is a single pak file from
the CD.

You'll need to be running a later version of the Q3A executable than
what comes with Q3A, so snag
<ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux/linuxq3apoint-1.29g-beta.x86.run>.
(This is where including the executables for the various architectures
on the same CD would've come in really handy, especially for dialup
users -- it's a nearly 26.5 MB download.)  Either enter "sh
linuxq3apoint-1.29g-beta.x86.run" or make it executable and run it.  Be
sure to check the checkbox for Team Arena.

When you run regular Q3A after installing the latest version, it's
likely to crash and complain about not being able to find various .so
files such as cgamei386.so, uii386.so, and/or qagamei386.so.  If that's
the case, run the game once using the following command line: "quake3
+set vm_game 2 +set vm_ui 2 +set vm_cgame 2".  Once that's working,
you're ready to install Team Arena.

Assuming that your CD-ROM is mounted at /cdrom and Q3A is installed at
/usr/local/games/quake3, all you have to do is "mkdir
/usr/local/games/quake3/missionpack; cp
/cdrom/Setup/missionpack/pak0.pk3 /usr/local/games/quake3".  To start
Q3A, just run "quake3" normally.  You can select Team Arena from the
main menu.  To start it up in Team Arena mode, run "quake3 +set fs_game
missionpack" instead.

You may or may not have a problem with the game crashing when you try to
run Team Arena.  (I did.)  If you do, it's more than likely a problem
with the game trying to look for one or more of those three .so files I
mentioned earlier.  You might be able to correct the problem by running
"quake3 +set fs_game missionpack +set vm_game 2 +set vm_ui 2 +set
vm_cgame 2" once (as above), but I discovered what the problem was when
I diffed ~/.q3a/baseq3/q3config.cfg and ~/.q3a/missionpack/q3config.cfg.
I solved the problem by finding, in ~/.q3a/missionpack/q3config.cfg, the
three lines that look like:
seta vm_game "0"
seta vm_ui "0"
seta vm_cgame "0"

And changing them to look like:
seta vm_game "2"
seta vm_ui "2"
seta vm_cgame "2"

Well, I hope that helps somebody.  It took me a little while web
searching to discover how to get Q3A running properly in X with hardware
acceleration.  There was even less information out there about Team
Arena.  Hopefully, I've saved at least one person the time I spent
researching the problem.  :)  (And hopefully Google will pick this
posting up the next time it indexes phillylinux.org. :) )