Arthur Alexion on Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:10:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Connection to x-server refused

Could the opposite be possible?  That is, could a disk space shortage,
exacerbated by temp files, either be preventing these files from being
written to disk, or overwriting them?  I'm not getting any warnings, but
disk space is a bit tight on this machine.

Art

On 7/30/2001, 7:26:19 PM, Bill Jonas <bill@billjonas.com> wrote regarding
Re: [PLUG] Connection to x-server refused:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:30:44PM +0000, Arthur Alexion wrote:
> > I am running RedHat 6.2, and the KDE and xfree86 versions which were part
> > of the distribution. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> I'm stretching here, since I've never experienced this problem myself,
> but perhaps /tmp is getting cleaned out?  Or perhaps there are dotfiles
> in your home directory which are getting deleted?

> If I'm not mistaken, X stores a cryptographic key in some file which is
> used to authenticate connections from X-enabled applications (the
> "magic cookie").  It sounds as though this file is disappearing.
> Unfortunately, I don't know anything more about how it works.

> Perhaps as a test you could run "xhost +localhost" when it acts up again
> and see if you can start X programs then.  Use this only for testing
> purposes, though, because it allows anyone logged into your machine to
> start X applications on your $DISPLAY, even if they aren't you.  A
> better way, actually, is to use the xauth program, but I don't really
> know the syntax for that.

> Hmm, I entered the xauth command with no arguments at the command prompt
> and it gave me the the following:
> $ xauth
> Using authority file /home/bj/.Xauthority
> xauth>

> Looking at that file, it contained the string "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1" no
> less than twelve times.  On a hunch, I did the following:
> $ grep -r MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 /tmp 2>/dev/null
> /tmp/dcopMqzdau:remove protoname=ICE protodata=""
netid=local/epoch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/17701 authname=MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
> /tmp/dcopMqzdau:remove protoname=DCOP protodata=""
netid=local/epoch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/17701 authname=MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1

> /tmp/.ICE-unix/17701 is a Unix domain socket...
> $ ls -l /tmp/.ICE-unix/17701
> srwxrwxrwx    1 bj       bj              0 Jul 28 15:01
/tmp/.ICE-unix/17701