gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:00:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL: Questions to ask?

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:45:36AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> 6 weeks, in my case. And I'm told that that's AVERAGE for ANY DSL line
> provider. You wait and wait and wait ...

Find me a line provider that's not a Bell and I'll find you a telco
that's not in the States.

That is a totally artificial waiting period. Um, okay, it's not,
it's part of the Bells' work schedules, which are about that long
behind what any reasonable person would expect for any non-emergency
service. This is because they spend NO money upgrading their
infrastructure, rather they just patch the leaky pipes. In the area
around my apartment, there's a Bell Atlantic/Verizon truck (or
three) doing service no fewer than three times a week. There are
punchdown blocks on neighboring buildings whose metal shielding is
damaged so badly that you can stand on a fire escape stairway above
them and look down and see wires. I often wonder what happens to
those folks' telephone lines when it rains.

My point is, excusing Bell (noticed that they're trying to become
one company again?) for the wretchedness of their service because
that's how long they'll take anywhere is pretty senseless. :^>

> "OK" means $39.95 for a 640/90 DSL line, that's got high uptime.

"High"? Why should it ever NOT be up, short of physical line damage?

(My DSL has been down once. Because a phone line was lying on the
ground after a storm. It was rerouted, along with everyone's
phones--even Verizon can't piss off that many customers for long and
get away with it--a few hours later.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net