Darxus on Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:50:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] bouncing html sent to this list ?

On 08/17, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> ignore it all together.  As for mutt style sigs, I think I have a patch for
> KMail that will allow it to catch and verify those too.

Awesome, thank you.  I encourage you to give it the ability to send
encrypted/signed email in this standards compliant fashon as well.

On 08/17, mike_phillips@urscorp.com wrote:
> Perhaps configure it so that when a mail is bounced for containing html
> the bounce back to the sender tells them why.

If we were to start bouncing html emails, I'd want to do so with a very
clear message of why, and extensive directions for as many mailers as
possible on how to switch to plaintext.  And suggestions on other
mailreaders to use incase someone is using a mailer that can't do
plaintext.

On 08/17, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > > I also have some thing in my .procmailrc which may be helping, but I
> > > do see both as signed.
> Courtesy of Brian Moore, Perl and C hacker:

I've been using something rather similar for a long time.  I don't remember
where I got it.  It looks like it does basically the same thing, but
handles a few more possibilities.  It has worked beautifully for me.

Procmail recipe to automagically convert non-standards compliant
signed/encrypted email to standards compliant & mutt readable:

:0
{
    :0 fBw
    * ^-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
    * ^-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
    | formail \
        -i "Content-Type: application/pgp; format=text; x-action=encrypt"

    :0 fBw
    | formail \
        -i "Content-Type: application/pgp; format=text; x-action=sign"
}

On 08/17, Arthur Alexion wrote:
> I almost always use plain text, but occasionally, it is helpful to use
> bold or italics to communicate something.  I really don't think *bold*
> and _italics_ are acceptable substitutes.  Granted, its annoying when
> someone sends an html message that has no communicating formatting, just
> a small sans serif font, but I can live with it.

I really strongly disagree with you on that matter.  I think very few
people, on this list anyway, will actually see your html italics or bolds.
They just won't see any of your attempts at highlighting.  And I've become
very comfortable with _underline_ BOLD and *italic*.  And people will
actually see that.  And understand it.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com