Michael Leone on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:40:23 +0200

Re: [PLUG] plug meeting tonight ?

On Wed, 2001-09-12 at 18:16, Arthur Alexion wrote:

> I spent much of yesterday, in the car, travelling back and forth between
> center city and Montgomery County.  Other than the mini rush hour,
> between 11 AM and noon, I noticed very little difference from a normal
> week day on the streets.  Having been in the court house when Mayor
> Street decided to shut down non essential government offices, I was
> mindful of that action.  I was also mindful that none of the surrounding
> municipalities reacted likewise.
>
> At that point, I saw no reason to cancel anything in our area.

There was the fact that half the Septa trains weren't running, and would
have made it very difficult to either GET to the meeting, or get HOME
from the meeting (I know more than a few of us took the R6 into Center
City, and then took another train, after the last meeting at Netas.
That's a practical aspect. I know I wouldn't have wanted to get stranded
out there, and have to have a $30+ cab ride back into Center City.

Even disregarding any of that, cancelling the meeting as a sign of
respect to the innocent dead would have been a valid, humane reason
IMHO.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Taking a mental stroll through the psychic park of pleasure.