Jason Costomiris on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:40:27 +0200

Re: [PLUG] 802.11 Questions

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 11:44:52AM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
: 	I have 2 linux boxen separated by 2 floors.  My questions are as follows:
: 	a)	can i just use 2 802.11 wireless cards to connect the two?

Yes, this is called an AdHoc network.

: 	b)	what is the range on these buggers?  The construction is all wood.

Probably about 25-30M indoors at 11 Mbps, up to almost 75-100M for 1Mbps.
Outdoors?  1Mbps at 500M.

: 	c)	what parts will give me the most bang for my buck...

Probably the best ones to look at are the Orinoco (Lucent) cards.  They're
in the same price range as everyone else, and have the best Linux support.

: 	d)	how good is wireless lan support on linux?

Pretty good.  I've gotten 802.11b cards working from these vendors:

Orinoco
Linksys
D-Link
Cisco
Nokia

: my goal is to keep the entire project less than $250 because that is what it
: would cost to cable the mess....

For desktop PCs, the price is likely to be higher for the WLAN, since the PCI
cards tend to be about $70, plus you still need the PCMCIA card to slide into
the adapter...

:
: thanks
: - -ian reinhart geiser
: - --
: ========================================
: "It's not just a computer -- it's your ass."
: 		-- Cal Keegan
: ========================================
:
: _________________________________________________________
: Do You Yahoo!?
:
:
:
: Philadelphia Linux Users Group       -      http://www.phillylinux.org
:

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.