gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:40:32 +0200

Re: [PLUG] SSH question

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:15:56PM -0400, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> OK. What IS unique to a dial? The phone number that the person is calling
> from. The private key and passphrase is supposed to be unique and secure. What
> else? I know there are ways to have the system call the user back at their
> predefined phone number, but what about using the phone number in the
> authentication process?

Great idea, but it only works if you're in control of the modem
bank, which is not the situation in the specific problem at hand.

As I've said once and will repeat... tcp_wrappers solves this
problem pretty well if your users have static IPs. Without that,
this is *precisely* the problem that IPSec and, more generally,
VPNs are designed to fix. And they do. Quite well.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net