Paul on Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:14:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Update strategy: RH6.2->RH7.1

> I have an old machine (i486 on a PCI board, 80 MB ram) now running
> RedHat
> 6.2.  I want to add a Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 GB drive to it.  In order to
> take advantage of the drive?s speed on this old computer, I am adding a
> Maxtor ATA controller.

How much does the ATA controller cost? Why not invest that
money into a new mother board which has built-in ATA100
support?

Example prices:

http://www.pricewatch.com
ATA100 mother boards, less than $100
Duron 750MHz CPU, $29.00
Athlon 1.33G CPU, $92.00

http://www.crucial.com
128M, PC2100 or PC133, $19.79
256M, PC2100 or PC133, $33.29

The lowest priced k6-2, Duron, Athlon, or whatever, would
make the 486 look like it's dead! Especially if you start
using swap space.