Adam Turoff on Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:00:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] John "MAD DOG" Hall in Philadelphia 10/10 (fwd)

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:53:49AM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:43:54AM -0400, Dave Turner wrote:
> > Why should we take what these people have to say seriously if they don't even
> > know that we need to *avoid* Word?
>
> Umm, because Mad Dog is a great speaker and has been an outspoken
> supporter of Linux from the very early days.  Thanks to him, Digital
> was one of the first computer companies to provide any Linux support.
> My history may be a little off, but I believe he personally convinced
> Digital's management to loan someone an Alpha to port Linux to it.

<pedant>
Actually, I believe Mad Dog's role within Digital at the time had something
to do with evangelizing Alpha as a platform.  So it was his job to seed
Alpha boxes to people who would help drive CPU sales.

The "someone" in this case was a Swedish Finn who responds to the name "Linus".
</pedant>

Also, Mad Dog is a hometown boy.  He went to Drexel <mumble> years ago,
back in the days when  staying up to 6am meant you could get a morning
run *AND* an evening run on *the* campus computer.

> So I for one would be willing to forgive them, at least once, for
> having some clueless marketing person include a Word doc in this
> annoucement.  All the information about the meeting is also available
> on the web site.

That's a very important point.  Marketing people who are announcing
these types of events aren't geeks, and they're more likely to be
interested in getting their job done (announcing meetings) than
being politically correct (avoiding Word to announce one particular
meeting with an upstanding member of the free software community).

Z.