Bill Jonas on Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:54:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Windows vs Linux e-mail return address

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 12:52:38AM -0400, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> My Web host uses Exim. I don't have control over it. My Netscape Messenger
> e-mail clients point to "mail.dpagin.net" for sending and receiving on both
> Win98SE and Linux. I don't use sendmail locally.
>
> I would be checking into to this more but I don't have my Linux system is not
> available right now. Win98SE is pitiful when it comes to network utilities.

Hmm.  Just occurred to me, after reading this -- perhaps you're running
identd on your Linux host.  The remote server requests ident, and your
system provides the user name, root, upon request.  Windows hosts
generally don't run any form of ident service (mIRC provides a built-in
ident server, so that's the notable exception I can think of, but that's
of no consequence), so the mail host then just takes your word for it on
the From: header.

Purely conjecture.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir raelcgvba.