paul on Fri, 12 Oct 2001 04:48:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Windows vs Linux e-mail return address

> Hmm.  Just occurred to me, after reading this -- perhaps you're running
> identd on your Linux host.  The remote server requests ident, and your

What is identd good for other than hacking?

Sorry about not having my system available to gather more info. The identd service
is one of the services that I disable. The previous hypothesis about being logged
in as root being the case of the identity confusion sounds like a likely cause.
(Why it would do what it do is another question.) Hey, maybe I will try, what is
it...KMail? If another e-mail client doesn't cause a problem, then Netscape
Messenger would be the culprit.

BTW, my wife's Lotus Notes server will display the word "root" in the message when
I send from my root account under Linux.