Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:40:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] simple Debian install?

> A similar story is progeny.  I've not used their graphical
> installer, but have heard really nice things.  They recently
> declared that they were "out of business", but you should be able
> to get a CD, install and point your apt.sources the same
> direction as all the other debian potato machines.

They said that they would help out w/ debian proper, though. I don't think
that they are 'out of business' I think that they have just stopped
development on this distro. Also, you should check their web page on how
to edit /etc/apt/sources.list before you mess around with this file. There
are a few incantations that they recommend before upgrading to potato or
woody.

I'm in love with the idea of using a good installer (for my friends, I'm
manly enough to hack my own hardware :) ) to get a base debian down, then
sucking in the lastest distro with a few incantations. Seems like the best
of both worlds.

Also, I have heard that libranet is still ongoing. They are talking about
closing shop or something sad, but I think that they're distro is a bit
more recent than the old progeny 1.0 installer.

Fred