Greg Lopp on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:55:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Mail setup questions

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:41:52AM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:29:01AM -0400, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> > I think fetchmail needs an MTA (like sendmail) though.  I tried
> > shutting down sendmail and fetchmail didnt work no more.
First line of "man fetchmail" :
   fetchmail is a mail-retrieval and forwarding  utility;  it
   fetches  mail  from  remote mailservers and forwards it to
   your local (client) machine's delivery  system.

All that fetchmail knows how to do is get mail from one server to
another.  It is usually used to get the mail from your ISP to
your local box, but you could use it to collect mail from several
different accounts and dump it all to some other account.  It
does one thing and does it well. (Thats the philosophy that leads
to this sometimes confusing situation of stringing together
several programs to handle email.  In the windows world, each app
does everything: retrieves, sorts, reads, composes, sends.  Thats
fine if you can find one app that does all of those things
exactly as you like.  In linux, there is more control and
choice.  I read my email using mutt, I like the way it handles
threaded discussions and mailing lists.  Since procmail is doing
my local mail delivery, I could switch to pine or balsa or elm as
my reader and not have to reconfigure my incoming mail filters each
time.)

> It can hand off the mail directly to a local delivery agent (like
> procmail) if you configure it to do so.  I don't know how to do it, but
> I've seen it mentioned before.  It shouldn't be hard to find.
Using the mda command.  examples:
   mda /usr/bin/procmail -d %T
or mda /usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -f %F %T

%T is replaced by the user it is to and %F is replaced by the
message's From:.