Jason Costomiris on Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:31:01 +0100

Re: [PLUG] I just got laid off.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 03:53:36PM -0500, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
: The company I worked for just laid some more people off (including me),
: and I don't believe the rest have much longer.

Get a headhunter, now.  Get 5 or 6 even.  Think "big company".  In this
area - think about places like Blue Cross, the stock exchange, Unisys,
Vanguard, and the like.  Be open to 1099 work.  Be open to other forms
of contracting.

: I now also find myself very much in need of a cellphone.  I would really
: appreciate suggestions.

About 8 months ago, I switched from AT&T Wireless to VoiceStream.
Both have lousy customer service.  In a previous job, I had a Verizon
phone, and thought they stunk too, service-wise.  The one thing I really
liked about AT&T was that say you were going to use over a thousand
minutes during a month, and your usual plan is for 400 minutes.  You can
call AT&T, even half-way theough the month and change your plan - no
fees or strings.  The change is for the entire cycle, not pro-rated.

At this point, they all have similar plans.  It mostly boils down to
features and coverage.  VoiceStream has more features than everyone
else, but with AT&T converting to GSM during 2002/2003 that playing
field will likely become level, fast.  I really want an unlocked
Nokia GSM that runs on 800, 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz bands (this would
cover the whole GSM-world, including the new AT&T GSM rollout), that
supports Bluetooth and GPRS.  Maybe 2002 will bring that...

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.