paul on Tue, 30 Oct 2001 04:30:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] I just got laid off.

> (Here's a tip for any PLUG member who's in the same situation: only
> bother doing this to get experience dealing with headhunters. They
> will *never* send you out on an interview if you're a full time
> student. They will, on the other hand, want names of your friends
> in the graduating class. This is why we call them headhunters.)

It seems that people with BS degrees are favored for Unix admin jobs.
Definitely for programming. But why were they hunting a full time
student? Did they think you would quit school for the right job?

I saw a story on TV a long time ago about two people who quit MIT to do
Web design. They were being paid over 100Gs each! The logic was that
school is supposed to prepare them to go out and make money. Well, they
got the money first. I wonder what they're doing now.