gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:00:23 +0100

Re: [PLUG] I just got laid off.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 04:31:13PM -0500, paul@dpagin.net wrote:
> Considering that someone with your qualifications got laid off, I have
> no hope of getting a real job!

Bullshit.

Darxus's position was cut based not in the least on him and totally
on what some idiot exec saw as a financial necessity. (The
alternative was probably for the executive staff to take a pay cut,
and we all know *that* can't happen.)

But more importantly, a statement like that about your own job
search is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't think you'll find
a job, you won't.

I wouldn't react quite so strongly if I weren't looking for employment
starting in January myself. (Since we're plugging resumes, mine's at
http://eclipsed.net/~gr/gr-resume.html.) Hearing that kind of talk
is just depressing to yourself and to others looking for a job,
especially for the people just laid off.

Go look at any headhunter site: there are *plenty* of contract-based
jobs available, and some full-time jobs available, for people with
Unix experience. Some of them want you to know Solaris or HPUX or
Tru64 Unix. So go learn that. Even buying a personal license to one
of these operating systems, though it is rather expensive, is not
totally ridiculous, and it'll pay off. This is NOT as difficult a
situation as you seem to want to make it.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net