Bill Jonas on Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:19:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] two questions...

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:43:19PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Including resizing? Doesn't ext3 have some metadata that ext2
> doesn't know about? Won't that not get moved properly, leaving you
> with a new, smaller (or larger, I guess) ext2 partition with the
> same files, but lacking metadata, where you used to have a
> differently-sized ext3 partition?

I believe that the journal is stored in the root of the filesystem as a
regular file called .journal, at least in some circumstances (especially
when converting ext2 -> ext3).  In any case, if the filesystem is left
in a consistent state (ie, unmounted cleanly), it can be mounted as ext2
by earlier kernels that have zero knowledge of ext3 without incident.

Doing a search for 'mount ext3 as ext2' turned up
<http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html>.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html