Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:10:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] @home (and Covad)

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 03:04:37PM -0800, Adam Schaible wrote:
> Comcast @Home, when I had it, was nominally discounted
> $10 a month to a fee of $30 when I subscribed to cable
> TV from them. However, throw in a $7 monthly modem
> rental, another $30 for TV service, and any where from
> $5 - $10 in taxes and fees, and the result was a
> roughly $70 per month bill. Not *too* bad, but the
> customer service was absolutely horrendous.
>
> I'm now gearing up to pay $60 a month for Covad DSL,
> just last month they started running asymmetric out of
> my local CO which is about 4000 ft. away from my
> apartment. I'm wondering how many PLUGgers out there
> have any Covad horror stories to discourage me from
> doing this... ?

Any big enough company will have horror stories. You're comparing how
many, not if.

I've had dcanet/covad for over a year and it's been extremely
reliable. Can't say how much is dca and how much is covad, although
dca is the first isp I've used that tells me about hardware and
service things proactively, which is cool. And since I run services
that send a few packets every few minutes, I notice those
middle-of-the-night outages. Verizon had many.

I pay $80 for the 1.5/384 service, which lets me ssh X-forward back to
work at tolerable speed, so I can read and send mail on my home
machine at work quite nicely. (I have to ssh over port 80, of course:
firewalls.)

Before, I used the base level service. Did you know that X updates
screens from left to right, not top to bottom? And some toolkits do a
lot of duplicate drawing? You learn cool things on slow connections.

--
 Jeff