Kevin Brosius on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 19:40:37 +0100

Re: [PLUG] @home (and Covad)

Mike Leone wrote:

> > I'm fairly happy with Directv DSL wired by Verizon.  And they have an
> > intro deal of $19.95/mo for the first three months, then $49.95/mo
> > after.  What speed line is the $60 Covad line?  The Directv DSL lines
> > are 640/128 in my area (and from what I've read should be the same in
> > the rest of PA), so don't believe that you'll actually get the peak 1.5M
> > as advertised on Directv DSL's web page.  (http://www.directvdsl.com/)
>
> I have DCA wired by Verizon, and I have 640/90. Sure yours is 128? Or does
> Verizon's upload line provisioning differ by area?
>
> Maybe you can get the 1.5M ... if you pay Verizon's ... $79.95 ? ... per
> month line charge for it. I pay $39.95 for my line; $10 more for DCA ISP
> services, for the same total that you pay. I know that I could pay Verizon
> more per month, and get higher bandwidth, with no extra charges from DCA. It
> would be neat to have my own T1 equivalent (download speed) to my house, but
> I'm not complaining too much.

It tests out to about 700+/128 when I run the dslreports.com speed tests
(on a good day), plus the router info page shows a uplink/downlink speed
of 800+/130+ (don't recall exact numbers).  So yeah, it doesn't look
like a 90k line.

That's one of the downsides to Directv DSL though.  It seems they buy
bulk circuits from the local telco of whatever the 'base' line is in a
certain region.  In my region it's 640/128, so that's all Directv will
sell you.

--
Kevin Brosius