Akintayo Holder on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:10:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for a 'computer science' textbook...

Guillermo Moyna wrote:

Dear PLUG gang,

A colleague here is teaching several bioinformatic courses, and asked me if I knew of any 'computer science' textbooks he could recommend to his students. Since I never learned any computer stuff in a 'formal' environment, I have no idea. Do you have any suggestions? He wants something that covers the basics (hardware, software, a bit of programming 'philosophy', maybe something that also touches databases, etc.). I know that one would usually use specific books/sources for each topic, but it's likely that there is a textbook out there that has a bit of everything bundled-up.

Look for the books that the force upon introductory CS students, these usually cover everything.

not in depth, but some contain resource pointers.

My CS grad program had a course for student

without a CS background .. the books,
and the course notes should be quite useful. Course notes are generally posted on the class web page.

and if his class is anything like mine was i would suggest programming perl.

CLR and Computer Architecture are good but overkill IMHO.

--
Eagles may soar, free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.