gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:40:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for a 'computer science' textbook...

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:20:21PM -0500, Chris Beggy  wrote:
> Your question was rhetorical.  Your judgement of the book is
> pretty clear, and your knowledge is based on having used it for a
> class.  That's a great basis for your opinion.

No, my question was legitimate. I have a bad taste in my mouth
about that book because I didn't get much out of the course, but
I'm willing to believe it's not the book's fault. :^>

> All of SICP is too much for a one-semester course, and maybe even
> for a two-year course.  Nevertheless, it's a good book.
>
> I'm not trying to convince you, just to let you understand my
> point of view.

Fair enough. It does have some stuff I didn't remember, which is
good. I think, even with what you said, it's not what I'd recommend
to someone looking for a wide-based grounding in computer science /
computer engineering, but that's fine too.

I'm concerned that you thought I was attacking you... Really, I
didn't mean to be. I picked your message in that thread to reply to
(and then add my own comments in general) because my memory of SICP
wouldn't have put it in the list of books I thought relevant, so it
jumped out of me. I really was just asking a question all along. I
swear.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net