Chuck Peters on Thu, 6 Dec 2001 05:40:18 +0100

[PLUG] 56K dialup for CCIL

It looks like the board is finally getting around to wanting 56K dialup.
A big part of it is our per line cost will be cheaper and they want to
double the number of users in 2002.  Too bad they want all this done with
declining donations.

One of our Network Admins Eric likes the USR Total Control and
says we can pick up a used one for a good price.  Does anyone have
experience with them or comments on the performance and reliablity?

We also offer text/shell dialup access because a few people still use slow
old machines and a number of seniors just use PINE for email.  We can keep
a few of the old analog lines going for them, but it would be prefable to
offer both ppp and shell on the same dialup pool like we are now.

It is a must that we be able to control users online time and vary it for
a few, volunteers and other specified people get extra time while most of
the users get a couple of hours per day and we limit it during heavy
usage.  Does anyone have comments on that issue?

CCIL is expecting to spend 5-7K on this so that kind of limits our
equipment options.  Maybe something besides the USR Total Control would be
a better choice.  Any recommendations?

We also need the digital lines, Eric is going to check with Verizon
for ISDN PRI line. 23B+1D configuration.  Does anyone have recommendations
for competing vendors?

Thanks,
Chuck