Walt Mankowski on Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:10:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] linux indent and emacs

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 12:39:37AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Oh, and fwiw, I *strongly* disagree with indent. 8-character-tabs
> waste a ridiculous amount of screen real estate, and programs that
> use tabs as "binary short hand" for 8 spaces (as emacs does) break
> with almost everything else out there (let's see: cat, more, less,
> ed, vi, grep, guess I'll stop there).

As he outlines in the CodingStyle document, Linus had very good
reasons for going with 8-character tabs.  Having said that, I use
4-character tabs myself.  :-)

> I agree with JWZ: the only way to be safe if anyone else will ever
> look at your code is to convert all tabs to the number of spaces you
> think they should be when you close the file. (He's got a nice
> lambda function to do this in the tabs-vs-spaces document mentioned
> above.)

When I want to get rid of tabs, I just mark the entire buffer with
C-x h, then run C-x untabify.

Walt