gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 9 Dec 2001 06:50:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] linux indent and emacs

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 10:10:26PM +0100, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> My guess is that the first one was xemacs. Why, oh why, didn't the
> xemacs folks make their lisps compatible?

Being as I'm completely outside that particular religious war, I'll
avoid commenting on fault there.

You might want to read:

  http://www.jwz.org/doc/emacs-timeline.html

and, back on your original question:

  http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Oh, and fwiw, I *strongly* disagree with indent. 8-character-tabs
waste a ridiculous amount of screen real estate, and programs that
use tabs as "binary short hand" for 8 spaces (as emacs does) break
with almost everything else out there (let's see: cat, more, less,
ed, vi, grep, guess I'll stop there).

I agree with JWZ: the only way to be safe if anyone else will ever
look at your code is to convert all tabs to the number of spaces you
think they should be when you close the file. (He's got a nice
lambda function to do this in the tabs-vs-spaces document mentioned
above.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net