gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:00:34 +0100

Re: [PLUG] linux indent and emacs

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:08:43AM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> As he outlines in the CodingStyle document, Linus had very good
> reasons for going with 8-character tabs.  Having said that, I use
> 4-character tabs myself.  :-)

Right, and I prefer 2-character tabs. This is no reason you, me, and
Linus shouldn't be able to edit the same file without getting
irritated with each other's preferences... tab should be a button
you press meaning "indent by as much as I want to indent"; it
shouldn't be an ASCII character at all. In my opinion. :^>

> When I want to get rid of tabs, I just mark the entire buffer with
> C-x h, then run C-x untabify.

... which only works if the person who put those tabs in thought
tabs were the same size you do.

(Btw, :s,	,  ,g for vi.)
         ^ ^
         | |
         | +- as many spaces as you like
         +- ^V^I (probably just typing a tab is okay, but I prefer
            to use ^V when I want a control character printed).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net