Michael C. Toren on Sun, 9 Dec 2001 15:22:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] linux indent and emacs

> > When I want to get rid of tabs, I just mark the entire buffer with
> > C-x h, then run C-x untabify.

M-x untabify, perhaps? :)

> ... which only works if the person who put those tabs in thought
> tabs were the same size you do.

Yes, but it works if the person writing the code untabify's prior
to saving, which I believe was the point Walt was trying to make.
For vi, ":%!expand -4" works nicely to accomplish the same thing.

Also, anyone writing code which uses ASCII, non-8 tabstops should
be indicating their tab preferences at the top of the file, either
with a "vi:set ts=4:", "-*- tab-width: 4 -*-", or other equivalent.

-mct