gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:30:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 09:28:06PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I think she means that she's logged in to her server, sending mail from
> there.  That's what I do.

There are two different definitions of "server" going on here. Both
are valid, but not when mixed.

Bill means "server" as in host. Michael means "server" as in mail
transport agent.

There can well be a "client" (Michael) on a "server" (Bill), and it
could theoretically be infected with a virus, even if the operating
system on the host were Linux.

(Actually, a remail-to-an-addressbook style of virus to affect mutt
users would be fairly easy to write, but quite hard to get the
average mutt user to actually execute. mutt, a well-behaved MUA,
doesn't do things it hasn't been explicitly told to do.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net