Walt Mankowski on Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:00:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Car pool from Suburbs for tomorrows meeting.

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:01:26AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> As it happens, I'll be coming from Haverford tomorrow evening, as
> I'm picking my roommate up from work and going directly to the
> meeting.
>
> The fastest way to get to USP is still going to be to come through
> Swarthmore on the Blue Route and transfer to 95 (the JFK Expressway
> being entirely out of the question at that hour), I expect, so I can
> easily hop back off the highway to pick you up.

The JFK Expressway?  Philadelphia has a JFK Blvd. which runs from the
Parkway to 30th St. Station a block north of Market, and we used to
have a JFK stadium until it got condemned and torn down to make way
for the First Union Center.  But we don't have a JFK Expressway.

Did you mean the Schuylkill Expressway?  :-)  Actually the Schuylkill
usually isn't too bad going into the city after around 6:30 PM.

I live just down the road from Haverford in Rosemont.  When I want to
head to West Philly while avoiding the Schuylkill, here's how I go:

Head east on Haverford Rd.  Cross City Line and continue until you
hit 63rd St.  Turn right.  Continue down 63rd for roughly a mile.  Go
under the El tracks at Market, then take the next left onto Chesnut
St.  You can make good time on Chesnut because the lights are timed.
To get to USP, turn right on 42nd then follow the directions on the
website [1].

I take this route all the time.  You should be able to make it from
Haverford to USP in about half an hour.

From Swarthmore I'd be tempted to go all the way down Baltimore Ave.,
especially if the Blue Route is backed up.  I've done that ride
without any traffic and it only took about 20 minutes.  With traffic,
who knows.

Good luck.

Walt

1.  http://www.PhillyLinux.org/locations/usp.html